Daniel Derrig from Buxworth has always loved the outdoors and wanted a job where he can stay outside in the fresh air instead of being in an office all day. This is when he decided to do a Level 2 countryside worker apprenticeship with DART Training.
Daniel said he has always learnt by doing and he feels the best way is to physically do the job rather than trying to pick up skills and knowledge by books alone. Additionally, he feels work experience is more valued than a degree and it is great he can work with people who have the same interest.
Daniel Derrig’s employers are the Peak District National Park in Bakewell and he has aspirations of becoming a full time ranger and to work up his way in the ranks.
Daniel has learnt many skills such as:
- Sphagnum moss, tree, hedge planting with Staffordshire Wildlife Trust and Severn Trent Water
- Leading volunteers with Peak National Park and Staffordshire Wildlife Trust
- Removal of Invasive plant species as part of a WEG grant for a Slow the flow project
- Wildflower and bat survey with South West Peak
- Crayfish surveys and relocation with Staffordshire Wildlife Trust
- Wildflower meadow seed brush harvesting and plot creation with Cheshire Wildlife trust and Glorious grasslands
- Crayfish relocation and creating Arc sites with Staffordshire Wildlife Trust and Forestry England
- Drystone walling, post and wire, post and rail, path and boardwalk work, hedge laying, gate mending and rebuilding with Peak District National Park and Staffordshire Wildlife trust
- Helped TB check cattle as well as move cattle and sheep
- Tree felling and low limb removal with Staffordshire and Cheshire Wildlife trust, Severn Trent water, United Utilities and Peak District National Park
- GIS data input – Part of WEG grant for Peak National Park
- Habitat restoration with Moors for the Future on wildfire sites on The Roaches
- Cultural Heritage surveys as part of a South West Peak project
Alongside this he has achieved his CS31 Felling Small Trees up to 380mm, CS30 City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Chainsaw Maintenance and Cross Cutting, NPTC Level 2 Certificate of Competence in Brushcutting Operations 201, LANTRA certificate of competence in All Terrain Vehicle, Sit Astride, LANTRA Certificate of competence in Off Road Vehicle Operating (4×4) and B + E trailer driving license qualifications.
I would recommend an apprenticeship as you get qualifications you need as well as essential skills for the job you want. All while getting paid instead of student finance debt.
For more information please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.